Community-Based and Sustainable Tourism Hackathon is a one-day in-person event that aims to bring together bright minds and innovative thinkers to design solutions for community-based and sustainable tourism in Uganda. This hackathon is a unique opportunity to collaborate and create tech-driven initiatives that promote responsible tourism practices, foster community engagement, and ensure the preservation of Uganda’s diverse cultural and environmental heritage.
- Date: 02/09/2023
- Time: 9am to 7:30 pm
- Place: Africa’s Talking, Acacia Place, 4th floor, John Babiha (Acacia) Ave, Kampala
- Theme: Sustainable Tourism
Themes for Solution Development:
Participants will be encouraged to develop solutions that address the following themes:
- Empowering Local Communities: Projects that empower local communities by creating opportunities for them to participate in tourism activities and benefit from tourism revenue.
- Environmental Conservation: Solutions that promote sustainable tourism practices to minimize the environmental impact and protect natural resources.
- Cultural Heritage Preservation: Initiatives that preserve and promote the cultural heritage of East African destinations while fostering cultural exchange between travelers and local communities.
- Tourism Education and Awareness: Projects that enhance travelers' awareness of sustainable tourism practices and encourage responsible travel choices.
- Software Engineers
- Developers who have a keen interest in the tourism sector
- Tourism Professionals
- Environmentalists and Conservationists
- Students and Educators
- Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs)
- To develop technology-based solutions that contribute to the sustainable growth of the tourism sector in East Africa.
- To encourage collaboration and networking among participants from diverse backgrounds, including developers, designers, entrepreneurs, and tourism enthusiasts.
- To promote community-based tourism initiatives that empower local communities and preserve their cultural identity.
- To raise awareness about sustainable tourism practices and their positive impact on the environment and local economies.
The winning solution will receive cash prizes as follows:
- Winner - $100
- 1st Runners Up - $50
- 2nd Runners Up - $25
- Form teams where need be.
- Feature requests
2. Building/hacking: Code in GitHub/GitLab/BitBucket and deploy in Docker/Automated CI/Travis CI/Bamboo
Note: This section needs additional setup.
Upon commit, the repository is built and deployed to an accessible web server or an S3 bucket.
3. Demonstration and Wrap-up
Teams or individuals will demo what they have hacked for feedback or adoption.
Note: Carry a laptop
- Access to our Talent bench (You can get a job or a gig on the spot)
Submit your Idea:
Hackathon idea submission form
We would love to reach out to you so that you can build for our customers, please fill out this form with details to ensure we have your details:
GIG/HACK DEVELOPER PORTFOLIO FORM
Join community channels:
Slack & WhatsApp:
Join Africa's Talking slack community here
Please follow us on Twitter handles to:
You can get our videos, recaps, and event interviews on our youtube channels, subscribe to get updates:
Africa's Talking community allows developers to learn skills for the modern-day African Developer. We are language and framework agnostic. All developers are welcome. This is where Africa's Talking developers community meets to build, learn and exchange knowledge.
We are helping software developers and businesses to bring their ideas to life through easy-to-use APIs quickly.
Would you like to partner with us? Kindly contact the Developer Experience Team.